Saturday 26 September 2009

An awesome evening

This post is not exactly true to this blog. I am just hijacking this blog for this post alone. Couldn't resist writing about a magical evening that I just experienced today!

I was invited to the Durga Pandal by Bombay Durga Bari Samiti. This is their 80th year and one of the members suggested that I visit the Pandal this evening for the Puja and the cultural programme that was to follow. But little did I realise that I was in for a huge surprise. A totally pleasant one at that! The 'cultural programme' was called 'Old is Gold' and featured Hindi & a few Bengali film songs. One rule - the song must be vintage. And all of them were. Awesome music, awesome musicians, awesome evening.

The team was led by Shri. Manohari Singh, who has played with doyens including S D Burman & R D Burman and he is one of the most prolific Saxaphone artists I have ever heard. Music was divine and I honestly felt de-stressed after a very long time. Cheap kick followed. I took a picture with Mr. Manohari Singh. God! What a simple human being he was.
Songs like 'Hoton pe aisi bath' from Jewel Thief, 'Dum Maro Dum' from Hare Rama Hare Krishna and 'Tere Mere Sapne' from Guide were belted out to perfection by the troupe. The singers Srikanth and Shailaja were so true to the original voices and sang to perfection. The energy that they brought along was flowing amongst the audience and it certainly was magical. Truly amongst the best evenings that I have enjoyed after having moved to Mumbai!

No comments:

Post a Comment